Sunday, March 1, 2020

Laser-Focus on Abuse


Image may contain: text

Why my laser-focus on abuse?
I am a nationally certified and licensed therapist in my state, with a Bachelor’s Degree in Bible and Counseling, as well as a Master’s Degree in Counseling. I have extensive experience working in the field of mental health, including psychiatric hospitalization units, social service organizations, in-home crisis intervention programs, mental health clinics, private practice, and voluntary care walking alongside friends dealing with domestic and spiritual abuse situations. I have been certified nationally since 2002 and licensed in my state since 2006. During my academic and professional careers, I have been instructed in and adhered to the highest ethical principles and have operated in accordance with the laws and codes that govern my profession. I have been trained to and experienced navigating mental health and domestic crises and have been helping individuals and families in these situations for nearly two decades.

In addition to my professional education and experience, I have a personal history of witnessing domestic violence and experiencing spiritually abusive crises. I first witnessed domestic violence at age six when I was spending the afternoon with a friend, whose father, in front of three of us children, took his wife by the throat and squeezed the breath out of her until she lay unconscious on the floor. Since that time, I have experienced and witnessed, in my own life and in the lives of people I love, various kinds of abuse. So needless to say, the Lord has placed me in various and numerous situations that have led me here, personally and professionally.

Social media, over the last several years, has been enlightening as to the pervasiveness of this issue in the evangelical community. There have been months when I received daily messages from women who have endured unspeakable pain at the hands of those who should love and care for them most; their husbands and their churches. A few men have come to me in similar situations, being alienated by their wives and churches. This should not be, but as long as it *is, light should be shed on what is happening; correction should be made, forgiveness should be sought, restoration made, fruits of repentance evidenced. Where Christ is ruling His people this can happen. The Gospel is the power of God unto salvation, not once at an altar call in our youth, but over a lifetime. It is my prayer, and my hope in exposing abuses, especially in the church, that victims will find healing, and abusers will despair of their actions and flee to Christ. It is my prayer that the victims/survivors of abuse will find support and comfort in the true Church and a refuge in Jesus. It is my hope that Christians and others who have experienced abuses will connect with others with similar experiences, to learn they are not alone, and they are not crazy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Gospel Gal Intro and Statement of Purpose

I am Marissa Namirr, Gospel Gal. I live and work in North Florida and the Atlanta Suburbs (updated 7/16/2022). I am the wife of Mark, m...