Tuesday, April 27, 2021

From Rags to Righteous

School children in this country used to learn the alphabet by repeating for the letter "A": In Adam's fall sinned we all." All have sinned and are sinners. But it is abundantly evident that Jesus relates differently to sinners who recognize their sinfulness, and those who have no clue.

There is not a shred of goodness we can produce that undoes what we are by nature or can earn a right standing with Him. In fact, they are *all filthy rags (Isaiah 6:46). The problem with the Pharisees, and even at times His followers who err, is that they are looking inward to achieve merit and favor with God and man. It will never work. Attempts at attaining His favor are exactly what He rejects. Resting in His merit is exactly what He desires and works in His people.

Matthew 7:22 On that day many will say to me, ‘Lord, Lord, *didn’t *we prophesy in your name, drive out demons in your name, and *do many miracles in your name?’ 23 Then I will announce to them, ‘I never knew you. Depart from me, you lawbreakers!’

Luke 7:37 And a woman in the town who was a sinner found out that Jesus was reclining at the table in the Pharisee’s house. She brought an alabaster jar of perfume 38 and stood behind him at his feet, weeping, and began to wash his feet with her tears. She wiped his feet with her hair, kissing them and anointing them with the perfume...44 Turning to the woman, he said to Simon, “Do you see this woman? I entered your house; you gave me no water for my feet, but she, with her tears, has washed my feet and wiped them with her hair. 45 You gave me no kiss, but she hasn’t stopped kissing my feet since I came in. 46 You didn’t anoint my head with olive oil, but she has anointed my feet with perfume. 47 Therefore I tell you, her many sins have been forgiven; that’s why she loved much. But the one who is forgiven little, loves little.” 48 Then he said to her, “Your sins are forgiven.” Rest from your labors. He has said, "It is finished". It is in Him that our filthy rags are replaced

with robes of righteousness. That is Good News!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Gospel Gal Intro and Statement of Purpose

I am Marissa Namirr, Gospel Gal. I live and work in North Florida and the Atlanta Suburbs (updated 7/16/2022). I am the wife of Mark, m...