Tuesday, July 27, 2021

“Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom..." Understanding Matthew 7

Many of us have been scared spitless at some point in our spiriutal histories by the warning passage when Jesus is disavowing the false professors in Matthew 7. If you've been there or are there now, this post is for you.

"21 “Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only the one who does the will of my Father in heaven. 22 On that day many will say to me, ‘Lord, Lord, didn’t we prophesy in your name, drive out demons in your name, and do many miracles in your name?’ 23 Then I will announce to them, ‘I never knew you. Depart from me, you lawbreakers!"

Notice Jesus' focus here is on those who believe they are saved *because of their good deeds: prophesying, driving out demons, doing miracles... Those who are leaning on their own goodness are those who are measured by the same...

Romans 10: 5 since Moses writes about the righteousness that is from the law: The one who does these things will live by them.

But because no one can live up to this standard, those who attempt it stand condemned.

James 2:10 For whoever keeps the entire law, and yet stumbles at one point, is guilty of breaking it all.

Therefore, Jesus calls these do-gooders, Lawless and commands them to depart from Him. (Refer back to Matthew 7, quoted above.)

In order to be found righteous and holy before God is to be found perfect. And that perfection is *not to be found in our good deeds, rather in Christ's alone. Therefore, be found resting in Christ's work, alone, and not your own.

Matthew 7:13 “Enter through the narrow gate. For the gate is wide and the road broad that leads to destruction, and there are many who go through it. 14 How narrow is the gate and difficult the road that leads to life, and few find it.


John 10:7 Jesus said again, “Truly I tell you, I am the gate for the sheep. 8 All who came before me are thieves and robbers, but the sheep didn’t listen to them. 9 I am the gate. If anyone enters by me, he will be saved

John 14:6 Jesus told him, “I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me. Trust Him... not your fruit, not your obedience, not your good works. He is faithful to His word and will save all who look to Him in faith.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Gospel Gal Intro and Statement of Purpose

I am Marissa Namirr, Gospel Gal. I live and work in North Florida and the Atlanta Suburbs (updated 7/16/2022). I am the wife of Mark, m...