Monday, November 22, 2021

Gospel Gal Hot-Take #2: "Stop Complaining": Lament & Some Theology of Suffering

My friend Vanessa recently sent me a short YouTube posted by Todd Friel of Wretched. The clip was
part of a sermon from John MacArthur's sermon, "How to Live in a Crooked and Perverse Generation" at Grace Community Church in Dec 2020. Here is the Wretched clip: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_lsO2Y_EZtk&ab_channel=Wretched. The full sermon and transcript can be found on the Grace To You website.

And you can listen to my YouTube episode on this content here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mudv_0lvCK0&ab_channel=GospelGal
(
In this episode Joy, Vanessa and I look at Todd Friel and John MacArthur's take on complaining and bring our own Hot Take, given theology of suffering in the Psalms. We hope to apply the salve of the Gospel to suffering souls and wounded hearts.)

Here are some of our key points in the YouTube episode:

In his sermon, John Mac Arthur exhorts his listeners,


He's preaching on Philippians 2: “Do all things without grumbling or disputing; so that you will prove yourselves to be blameless and innocent, children of God above reproach in the midst of a crooked and perverse generation, among whom you appear as lights in the world, holding forth the word of life, so that in the day of Christ I will have reason to glory because I did not run in vain nor toil in vain..." (v. 14). 

As MacArthur speaks, I am transported back to my Fundamentalist upbringing where there was an unspoken or overt expectation that the expression of emotion was, at least, fleshly if not completely sinful, especially the attitudes of anger, anxiety, fear, or sadness. The Chrisitan was to be joyful, so of course, complaining was looked upon as bad behavior or a sub-Christian mentality.

Now, we understand that it is not Paul's imperative that is problematic. He is instructive. In the context of Philippians chapter 2  the Apostle first reminds us of the great sacrifice of our Savior for us. Only after providing this comfort does he call Christians to live accordingly, as beloved children in a world hostile to Christians. He is admonishing his hearers to remember to live at peace with those around them, inside and outside of the church. He stirs his hearers up to remember the kindness of God in His sovereign plan for their lives.

So, what is so glaringly problematic in MacArthur and Friel's message here? The hearer is carelessly instructed to "Stop complaining" but not provided with instruction on what to do with brokenness and pain, other than to live with it "to prove ourselves blameless children..." 

What I have learned having experienced bouts of pain and discontent, is that, as God's beloved ones we *can and *should boldly bring our complaints to God. He is *our Father, Who knows the very hairs on our heads and we are free to approach Him with all of our cares. The Psalms are full of lament, and the psalmist rightly lays out his grief before God. (Note the theology of suffering taught throughout the book.)

You see, the Lord knows our hearts better than we know them ourselves. So when we approach Him, He won't be fooled into believing we're content with our current lots in life when we're not. At times we're actually offended, stressed, worried, and our hearts are sore. And guess what!  He knows. He sees. And I think that a message to the children of God, that they are to restrain themselves from honest lament to their Father is a false and toxic one....Toxic to assume that God's ways for you are hard, so therefore He demands that you take your bitter medicine and like it... 

Far from putting us in time out for whining, our Triune God welcomes us into His presence even with our babblings and cries, for Christ's sake. Think of what the Son of God performed for us. Jesus put on flesh, not only to live obediently in our place, not only to suffer the wrath of God that we deserved but to feel the angst, the temptation, the heartache, and pain that we experience. His empathy is always on full display. Listen to Dane Ortland describe our Mediator/Savior's compassion for us.

“Sympathize is not cool and detached pity. It is a depth of felt solidarity such as echoed in our own lives most closely only as parents to children. Indeed it is deeper even than that. In our pain, Jesus is pained; in our suffering, he feels the suffering as his own even though it isn’t – not that his invincible divinity is threatened, but in the sense that his heart is feelingly drawn into our distress. His human nature engages our troubles comprehensively. His is a love that cannot be held back when he sees his people in pain” (HT Joy Dudley).

As I step back from the past pain and skepticism of God's paternal heart, into the present reality of the love and care of the Triune God for me I remember these truths. Recall them with me.

Hebrews 4:15: "For we do not have a high priest who is unable to sympathize with our weaknesses, but one who has been tempted in every way as we are, yet without sin." The Son of God has passed the test for me, and He ever lives to make intercession for me having experienced the very temptations that I have, yet without sin.

Romans 8:26: "In the same way the Spirit also helps us in our weakness, because we do not know what to pray for as we should, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us with inexpressible groanings." The Spirit of God given to me as a certain deposit assuring my standing and future glorification, steps in and prays for me when I don't know how to sufficiently or correctly pray for myself.

Matthew 10: 29-30 "Aren’t two sparrows sold for a penny? Yet not one of them falls to the ground without your Father’s consent. But even the hairs of your head have all been counted." My Father in Heaven is moved with everlasting love, to the extent that He did the unthinkable for a sinner like me. He gave His only begotten Son and will never withhold from me what is good. I can now confidently approach Him with all my burdens, brokenness, and even blindspots, knowing that He will never cast me out or disdain my appearing before Him in my pain. 

Therefore we can say confidently with the Psalmist:

"I cry aloud to the Lord;
I plead aloud to the Lord for mercy.
I pour out my complaint before him;
I reveal my trouble to him.
Although my spirit is weak within me,
you know my way."
~Psalm 142:1-3

Complain to the One Who faithfully loves you and has the power to bring change to situations, stories, sadnesses that you cannot. "...casting all your cares on him, because he cares about you." ~I Peter 5:7

Sources:
2. "How to Live in a Crooked and Perverse Generation":John MacArthur: Sermon and Transcript: https://www.gty.org/library/sermons-library/81-98?
3. Gentle and Lowly: Dane Ortland

No comments:

Post a Comment

Gospel Gal Intro and Statement of Purpose

I am Marissa Namirr, Gospel Gal. I live and work in North Florida and the Atlanta Suburbs (updated 7/16/2022). I am the wife of Mark, m...