Monday, December 13, 2021

Purity Culture And a Real-life Redemption Story

Last week Joy and I had a great conversation with Jennifer Moodie. We discussed
the Purity Culture, how it has impacted us, and the way the Gospel provides health and healing, as Christ reconciles us to Himself and to one another. Jenn shares her story and how real divine intervention changed her husband's life, her's, and their marriage. 

Here's the Gospel Gal episode: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Th-6l4mkEXo&ab_channel=GospelGal

If you're wondering what the Purity culture is, if you're wondering how beneficial it is, if you're wondering how to heal from its effects, listen to this episode. I really appreciate Jenn's perspective and want Gospel Gal's readers and listeners to take this away as they consider what they hear on this episode: 


"Q: How are you righteous before God?


A:Only by true faith in Jesus Christ. 
Although my conscience accuses me that I have grievously sinned
against all God's commandments,
have never kept any of them, 
and am still inclined to all evil, 
yet God, without any merit of my own, 
out of mere grace, imputes to me
the perfect satisfaction, righteousness, and holiness of Christ. 
He grants these to me as if I had never had nor committed any sin,  and as if I myself had accomplished  all the obedience which Christ has rendered for me, if only I accept this gift with a believing heart."
~Heidelberg Catechism 60


Sources and Resources Mentioned (Disclaimer: Noting the following resources does not suggest Gospel Gal endorsement).

1. "How an Abstinence Pledge in the ’90s Shamed a Generation of Evangelicals":
New York Times: https://www.nytimes.com/2021/04/06/us/abstinence-pledge-evangelicals.html

2. Do You Not Know (Sermon Series): John Fonville: Paramount Church https://www.paramountchurch.com/sermons/series/do-you-not-know

3. Talking Back to Purity Culture: Rediscovering Faithful Christian Sexuality: Rachel Joy Welcher

4. The Great Sex Rescue: Sheila Wray Gregorie

5. The Whole Christ: Legalism, Antinomianism, and Gospel Assurance―Why the Marrow Controversy Still Matters: Sinclair Ferguson

6. Knowing God: JI Packer

7. The Heidelberg Catechism

No comments:

Post a Comment

Gospel Gal Intro and Statement of Purpose

I am Marissa Namirr, Gospel Gal. I live and work in North Florida and the Atlanta Suburbs (updated 7/16/2022). I am the wife of Mark, m...