Sunday, September 3, 2017

Free



Free

We only have a "free will" to sin, by nature, and that "free will" is nothing but bondage (Romans 7:14,15). We have no ability or freedom to do what is pleasing to God apart from Christ (John 8:36; Philippians 2:13).


Romans 7:14 ,15  
For we know that the Law is spiritual, but I am of flesh, sold into bondage to sin. For what I am doing, I do not understand; for I am not practicing what I would like to do, but I am doing the very thing I hate. 

John 8:36 
So if the Son makeyou freeyou will be free indeed.
Philippians 2:13 
for it is God who is at work in you, both to will and to work for His good pleasure.

Jesus came into the world to deliver His people from bondage and the consequences of sin. He lived a perfectly holy life in our place, sufferred and died the death we deserve, was burried and rose again, as proof of the Father's satisfaction of His sacrifice, then He sent the Holy Spirit to enable us to change the course of our lives, believing, repenting, living for His glory with new hearts and new, sanctified wills.  None of this would be possible apart from the gospel, the will of the Father, and the power of the Holy Spirit in us.

See also:
The Bondage of the Will: Martin Luther
http://www.chapellibrary.org/files/4913/7643/2893/botw.pdf

and
The Bondage and Liberation of the Will: John Calvin
https://revches-a8679.firebaseapp.com/aa917/the-bondage-and-liberation-of-the-will-a-defence-of-the-orthodox-doctrine-of-human-choice-against-pighius-texts-and-studies-in-reformation-and-post-reformation-thought-by-john-calvin-080102076X.pdf

No comments:

Post a Comment

Gospel Gal Intro and Statement of Purpose

I am Marissa Namirr, Gospel Gal. I live and work in North Florida and the Atlanta Suburbs (updated 7/16/2022). I am the wife of Mark, m...