Sunday, September 10, 2017

Monergistic Grace in Sanctification

Monergistic Grace in Sanctification

The Reformed/Biblical View of Justification is that God monergistically saves the elect who have been bought by the life and death of Jesus Christ. However, there have been years of heated debate among those who hold that God, performs sanctification as a gift of God's free grace, and those who see it as more of a synergistic activity between the justified and the Holy Spirit.

The Reformed position is that God performs sanctification as a gift of God's free grace. The Westminster Shorter Catechism states:  "Sanctification is the work of God’s free grace, whereby we are renewed in the whole man after the image of God, and are enabled more and more to die unto sin, and live unto righteousness (A. 35).

Paul affirms monergism in I Corinthians 15:
 9 For I am the least of the apostles, unworthy to be called an apostle, because I persecuted the church of God. 10 But by God’s grace I am what I am, and His grace toward me was not ineffective. However, I worked more than any of them, *yet not I, but God’s grace that was with me. Paul attributes his very work to God's doing.

And again in Philippians 2 Paul confirms: "13 
For it is God who is working in you, enabling you both to desire and to work out His good purpose."

Those who have been bought and paid for by Christ alone can be assured that because of the life, death, burial and resurrection of Christ, they will walk in newness of life until we meet Him in glory, by grace alone. Hebrews 12:2: "
keeping our eyes on Jesus, the source and perfecter of our faith..."

For further study: 
Book: The Gospel Mystery of Sanctification by Walter Marshall: PDF: https://www.monergism.com/thethreshold/articles/onsite/GospelMystery.pdf

Blog: 
Sanctification Is A Work Of God’s Grace: Resources On Sanctification by R Scott Clark: https://heidelblog.net/2016/07/sanctification-is-a-work-of-gods-grace-resources-on-sanctification/

Podcast: Sanctification with Gary Edwards | Theology Gals | Episode 21: Coleen Sharp's interview with Gary Edwards: http://biblethumpingwingnut.com/2017/07/03/theology-gals-sanctification/


No comments:

Post a Comment

Gospel Gal Intro and Statement of Purpose

I am Marissa Namirr, Gospel Gal. I live and work in North Florida and the Atlanta Suburbs (updated 7/16/2022). I am the wife of Mark, m...