Wednesday, July 22, 2020

Absolution

Many years ago, I was struggling with a real and besetting sin. At the time, our family was church-homeless (Church Homelessness is discussed on my podcast, here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BiYi-4OmPNs). And I am sure that this homelessness only lent to and exacerbated the problems. Nonetheless, the Lord was faithful and was with me even when "I made my bed in hell" (Psalm 139:8). And He provided a couple of close friends for me to confide in, to pray for me, and to encourage me even in that very dark time. Much like absolution, one of those friends was not only loyal, walking with me through the valley, but was persistent in reminding me that the bed I'd made for myself did not define me. It was the Lord Who bought me Who did.

Within the last several months I have found my spiritual home in the Anglican Church and absolution has become a treasured discovery. Priests, His ministers, have been given the power to assure us of Christ's pardoning favor (absolution) and to restore sinners to His church.

Listen to the words of the Book of Common Prayer that disclose to us the forgiveness of sin  found in our Triune God, and the comfort provided to us by H
is servants: 

The Reconciliation of  Penitents


The Penitent begins: Bless me, for I have sinned.


The Priest says: The Lord be in your heart and upon your lips that you may truly and humbly confess your sins: In the Name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit. Amen.


Penitent: I confess to Almighty God, to his Church, and to you, that I have sinned by my own fault in thought, word, and deed, in things done and left undone; especially [the sins of my past]. For these and all other sins which I cannot now remember, I am truly sorry. I pray God to have mercy on me. I firmly intend amendment of life, and I humbly beg forgiveness of God and his Church, and ask you for counsel, direction, and absolution.


(Here the Priest may offer counsel, direction, and comfort.)


The Priest then declares: Almighty God have mercy upon you, pardon, free, and forgive you all your sins through our Lord Jesus Christ, strengthen you in all goodness, and by the power of the Holy Spirit, keep you in eternal life, through Jesus Christ our Lord, Amen. 


The Lord has put away all your sins.

Penitent: Thanks be to God.


Priest: O most loving Father, by your mercy you put away the sins of those who truly repent, and remember their sins no more. Restore and renew in your servant whatever has been corrupted by the fraud and malice of the devil, or by her own selfish will and weakness. Preserve and protect her within the fellowship of the Church; hear her prayers and relieve her pain; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

The Priest concludes: Go in peace, and pray for me, a sinner.


If your soul is sore and your sin has left gaping wounds on your heart and mind, look to Jesus. He lived for us. He died for these very sins of yours and mine. He was buried and rose again for us. He ever lives to make intercession for us. And He provides faithful ministers to care for our souls. Go and seek one out. We have a real accuser who delights in dredging up the past, so it is good to hear the word of promise from someone outside of ourselves. Absolution has been a salve for my sin-sick spirit.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Gospel Gal Intro and Statement of Purpose

I am Marissa Namirr, Gospel Gal. I live and work in North Florida and the Atlanta Suburbs (updated 7/16/2022). I am the wife of Mark, m...