Sunday, July 5, 2020

Love descends... ~Thomas Goodwin (1651)


Love descends
better than ascends, and so does the love of Christ, who indeed is love itself, and therefore comes down to us himself; "I will come again and receive you unto myself" (says 
Christ), "that so where I am, you may be also." That last part of his speech gives the reason of it, and also divulges his entire affection. It is as if he had said, 'The truth is, I cannot live without you, I shall never be quiet until I have you where I am, that so we may never part again; that is the reason of it. Heaven shall not hold me, nor my Father's company, if I have not you with me, my heart is so set upon you; and if I have any glory, you shall have part of it.'

~Thomas Goodwin (1651)
The Heart of Christ in Heaven Towards Sinners on Earth


Resources:

*The Heart of Christ in Heaven Towards Sinners on Earth: Thomas Goodwin: https://www.monergism.com/thethreshold/sdg/goodwin/The_Heart_of_Christ_-_Thomas_Goodwin.pdf
*The English Reformation and the Puritans: A Teaching Series by Michael Reeves: Thomas Goodwin: https://www.ligonier.org/learn/series/the-english-reformation-and-the-puritans/thomas-goodwin/

1 comment:

Gospel Gal Intro and Statement of Purpose

I am Marissa Namirr, Gospel Gal. I live and work in North Florida and the Atlanta Suburbs (updated 7/16/2022). I am the wife of Mark, m...