Monday, July 31, 2017

In Christ or In Fig Leaves?

In Christ or in Fig Leaves? 

After the fall, Adam and Eve began the pattern of what they and all posterity would do from then on. When recognizing our state and having the knowledge of our sin, we hide. Adam made a covering of fig leaves to hide his shame and nakedness. We do the same thing when we try to hide what cannot be hidden from God in inventions of self-made righteousness that can never protect us from God's righteous and all-knowing eye. All our righteousness is as filthy rags (Isaiah 64:6).

Genesis 3:6 And when the woman saw that the tree was good for food, and that it was pleasant to the eyes, and a tree to be desired to make one wise, she took of the fruit thereof, and did eat, and gave also unto her husband with her; and he did eat.7 And the eyes of them both were opened, and they knew that they were naked; and they sewed fig leaves together, and made themselves aprons.8 And they heard the voice of the Lord God walking in the garden in the cool of the day: and Adam and his wife hid themselves from the presence of the Lord God amongst the trees of the garden.9 And the Lord God called unto Adam, and said unto him, Where art thou?10 And he said, I heard thy voice in the garden, and I was afraid, because I was naked; and I hid myself.

Because of their sin, God issued a curse and then the great consolation. Rather than killing them on the spot, He took them and slaughtered an animal, Himself, to provide them with an acceptable covering. In that act, He showed what must be done because of sin: Someone must die, and for Adam and Eve, this blood sacrifice for sin, foreshadowed the once and for all sacrifice of the Lamb of God, Who takes away the sin of the world.  
Genesis 3:15 And I will put enmity between thee and the woman, and between thy seed and her seed; it shall bruise thy head, and thou shalt bruise his heel...21 Unto Adam also and to his wife did the Lord God make coats of skins, and clothed them.

Today, if we are found clothed in His righteousness, rather than in the fig
leaves of our own self-righteous imaginations, we are "hemmed in." We are safe and secure from the just wrath that we would otherwise face, because of our disobedience to Him. And not only do we not face His wrath, we are in His favor, being found in Christ. His righteousness has become ours.  

Observe our blessings, being *in Christ:

Psalm 139:5 ESV You hem me in, behind and before,

Psalm 139:7 Whither shall I go from thy spirit? or whither shall I flee from thy presence? 8 If I ascend up into heaven, thou art there: if I make my bed in hell, behold, thou art there. 9 If I take the wings of the morning, and dwell in the uttermost parts of the sea; 10 Even there shall thy hand lead me, and thy right hand shall hold me. 11 If I say, Surely the darkness shall cover me; even the night shall be light about me. 12 Yea, the darkness hideth not from thee; but the night shineth as the day: the darkness and the light are both alike to thee. 13 For thou hast possessed my reins: thou hast covered me in my mother's womb. 14 I will praise thee; for I am fearfully and wonderfully made: marvellous are thy works; and that my soul knoweth right well. 15 My substance was not hid from thee, when I was made in secret, and curiously wrought in the lowest parts of the earth. 16 Thine eyes did see my substance, yet being unperfect; and in thy book all my members were written, which in continuance were fashioned, when as yet there was none of them. 17 How precious also are thy thoughts unto me, O God! how great is the sum of them! 18 If I should count them, they are more in number than the sand: when I awake, I am still with thee.

Colossians 3:3 For ye are dead, and your life is hid with Christ in God.

1 Corinthians 15:22 For as in Adam all die, even so *in Christ shall all be made alive.

2 Corinthians 5:17 Therefore if any man be *in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.

Ephesians 2:6 And hath raised us up together, and made us sit together in heavenly places *in Christ Jesus

Ephesians 2:10 For we are his workmanship, created *in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them.

1 Peter 5:14 Peace be with you all that are *in Christ Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Gospel Gal Intro and Statement of Purpose

I am Marissa Namirr, Gospel Gal. I live and work in North Florida and the Atlanta Suburbs (updated 7/16/2022). I am the wife of Mark, m...