Wednesday, August 2, 2017

Four Reasons TULIP is NOT the Gospel

Let me first affirm that my husband and I are Reformed Presbyterians. We are covenantal and confessional. We affirm the doctrine of grace, and are solidly Calvinists. However, being Reformed does not mean that we believe TULIP IS the gospel. On the contrary, being Reformed we realize that TULIP is NOT the gospel. We believe that the gospel is the power of God unto salvation (Romans 1:16). We believe that the gospel is the doing, dying and rising again, of Jesus for sinners, like us. (I Corinthians 15:3-5). The gospel is the redemptive work that Christ did for His people; His finished atoning work on their behalf. It is not who we are. It is not what we do. It is finished.

1 Now I would remind you, brothers, of **the gospel** I preached to you, which you received...3 For I delivered to you as of first importance what I also received: that Christ died for our sins in accordance with the Scriptures, that he was buried, that he was raised on the third day in accordance with the Scriptures I Corinthians 15


We believe TULIP is Scriptural and sound doctrine, but it is not THE gospel for four reasons:
1. T: Total depravity, (Romans 3:9-11) is bad news, not good. It defines our state on our own apart from redemption.

2. U: Unconditional Election (Romans 9) is God's blueprint for saving His people, ensuring that He would save, by the Gospel, but again, itself is not the gospel. In addition, we are not saved by believing something about election. Election ensures the gospel, but election is not THE gospel.
3. I: Irresistible Grace: (John 6:44) We are drawn into relationship with God irresistibly by the Holy Spirit. In this way, and only in this way can be come to God. We have no warrant to approach Him apart from being drawn. We are drawn to the gospel as a result of the gospel, but irresistible grace is not THE gospel.
4. P: Perseverance of the Saints: (Philippians 1:6) Once again; This is something that describes the us, not Christ or His work for us. We persevere, because He preserves us, but this does not describe His atonement or the application of redemption. It is the benefit of the gospel. It is not THE gospel. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Gospel Gal Intro and Statement of Purpose

I am Marissa Namirr, Gospel Gal. I live and work in North Florida and the Atlanta Suburbs (updated 7/16/2022). I am the wife of Mark, m...